Visiting Lucy in Bangladesh: part 1 of many
Most of you probably already know that I've spent the last three weeks in Bangladesh visiting my sister Lucy who is working there for a year with an NGO. (there's a link to her blog on the side of this page). I had the most amazing time! I think it must qualify as the best holiday I've ever had, especially as I got to spend so much time with Lucy and with mum who was also visiting. I have hundreds of photos and heaps of stories to tell, so, over the next few weeks, I'l l try and put some of the highlights on this blog so you can appreciate what an amazing time I had.
In the afternoon Lucy and I went to New Market - this massive bizzare near her house. It was chockers full of people and they sell everything from biscuits to bedspreads. Upstairs there are heaps of little shops that print and embroider cloth.
That evening we went to a free cultural performance (a dance) in a theatre near by and then had dinner at a little local place which served great BD food - these little pastry shells filled with chickpea curry.
Pics of the streets of Dhanmondi:




The entrance to Lucy's house (yes, it's the Oriental Castle!!):
The view from Lucy's house:
Dhaka: Dhanmondi
I arrived in Dhaka in the middle of a Thursday night to be greeted by Lucy and a bevy of armed policemen she had befriended! We jumped in our car and were whisked along the relatively quiet streets to Lucy's house in the suburb of Dhanmondi. We spent the next few days before mum arrived exploring. On my first morning, I kitted up in my borrowed salwar kameeze (long top and pants - culturally appropriate clothing) and Lucy, her flatmate Bridge and I walked along the banks of a nearby lake to a local cafe for brekkie/lunch. From the moment I arrived in BD, I felt like a cross between a movie star and someone with flashing lights on their forehead - there aren't many tourists in BD, so you attract a lot of attention! Pics of the streets of Dhanmondi:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home